The Market was established in March 2004 to foster the development of a local sustainable food supply industry, to shorten the food supply chain and enable local growers of chemical-free produce to sell direct to consumers. This trade is supported by sales of a limited range of produce not grown in the local area and other activities and services that support individual health, a vibrant community and a healthy environment.
The market’s motto is – Think Global, Eat Local – keep your dollars in the Yarra Valley.
The Market is situated at the picturesque Coronation Park, River Street, Healesville, behind the shopping centre, adjacent to the Watts River. It operates under a licence from the Yarra Ranges Shire Council and is open every Saturday except Public Holidays, from 8 am to 1 pm. Another day may be substituted where a Public Holiday falls on a Saturday.
On Days of Total Fire Ban over the summer fire-danger period the market closes early and is automatically cancelled on Code Red days.
Produce (including plants for sale) is grown without the use of chemical fertilisers, fungicides, pesticides or herbicides and is accepted at three levels –
- Certified Organic or Biodynamic – certified by a nationally-accredited certifying organisation.
- Uncertified Organically-grown – grown locally by sustainable organic methods that follow national standards.
- Seasonal backyard surplus – accepted where no chemical fertilisers or sprays are used on the property.
The market continues to grow steadily as demand for chemical-free produce increases. Unlike other farmers markets we encourage small-scale producers to sell cooperatively.
During 2015-16 we had around 14 regular stalls supporting 20 local enterprises, selling :
- fresh vegetables and herbs
- seasonal fruit, nuts and berries
- wood-fired oven baked sourdough breads (2 stalls)
- cold-pressed honey
- locally-roasted ethically sourced coffee
- seasonal flowers and bulbs
- open-pollinated, non-hybrid, heirloom seeds, seedlings and plants
- goats milk cheeses and soaps
- packaged herbs and spices
- free-range, pastured eggs and fresh or frozen chicken meat
- cakes, jams and preserves
- wooden toys, chicken feeders, nest boxes
If you wish to set up a stall, please contact the market operator by sending an email to email@example.com.